Saturday 24 October 2009


I was told I was able to post my own work on my main blog.
So here it goes;
Nightmares gig Poster: I was approached by an indie band named Nightmares.They had seen my previous work and I was asked to design a poster to promote a gig.I happily agreed and was left only with the word."Nightmares"
The first thing that came to mind was monsters under beds,bogeyman and the dark,things that a child would have nightmares about.I started scribbling some ideas down and used dark colours and creepy lettering.Looking back at it i thought it never communicated this band to be an indie band but a more "gothic". I felt stuck.This communicates having nightmares etc but I couldnt get it to communicate the band.I looked further into the meaning of nightmares from my own experience. It's a popular phrase to say that a baby/toddler is being a "Nightmare" ;Babies misbehaving etc. So I turned the noun into a adjective.This made the brief more flexible.I am very familiar with Johnny Hardstaff's work and his production drawings include a baby attatched to machinary which gives an uncomfortable vibe.The heavy/sinsiter lookin machinary contrasts perfectly against the innocent baby.I took instant inspiration from this and incorperated it into my work.Unfortunately the development work and some of the final outcomes for this are back in Birmingham and is being used for educational purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment